A favorite childhood candy store, See’s Candy, makes the most delicious chocolate caramel candies. Once you make your own, healthy “Sea” Turtles, you won’t find yourself craving store bought candy again. Makes 12.
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates (approximately 20)
- ⅓ cup lucuma powder
- 1 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla flavoring
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup powdered cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon coconut nectar (or preferred liquid sweetener)
- 12 whole pecans
- First, prepare caramel filling by placing dates in food processor. Process on high, approximately 40 seconds, until a ball forms. Add lucuma powder and vanilla. Process again on high for approximately one minute. Mixture will initially be crumbly, but then will come back together into a ball. Let sit in processor as you move on to making the chocolate.
- In a small bowl, first add cocoa powder followed by coconut oil. Mix well. Add coconut nectar. Stir to combine. In a 24 cup silicone mini muffin mold, place a teaspoon of chocolate into 12 of the cups.
- Take the caramel ball and pinch into 12 portions. Roll each portion between your hands to form a small ball. Slightly flatten and press a pecan on one side. Place caramel patty into the chocolate, pushing down slightly. Continue for all pieces.
- Place in freezer for approximately 15 minutes, or until chocolate firms. Remove from freezer, pop out of mold, and place in an airtight container. Refrigerate. This is of course, after you have eaten one…or two…