These are the perfect way to get a healthy ice cream sandwich reminiscent of your favorite childhood treats, except without the dairy, gluten, refined sugar or fats! A multi-stage process…but well worth it!
- One batch of Protein B’Nice Cream (see previous post)
- Crust (recipe follows)
- Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- 1 can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 teaspoons alcohol free vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup date paste
- Note: Paste is made by placing 1 cup pitted dates plus ½ cup warm water in high powered blender until smooth.
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free, if needed)
- ½ cup flax meal
- 1 scoop vanilla NuZest Clean Lean protein powder
- Line a 7×11 jelly pan (or similar size) with parchment paper. Add oats and flax meal to food processor and process until it resembles a coarse flour. Add the rest of the crust ingredients, and mix in the food processor until combined. Dough will be very thick. Smooth into the pan with a spatula. Use a sheet of parchment sprayed with coconut oil to help press the dough into a flat ¼ thick sheet. May not completely fill the length of the pan, but that’s okay. Place in freezer. Meanwhile, make chocolate frosting.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- ½ cup defattened peanut flour (such as Anthony’s organic peanut flour or PB2)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (such as Wondercocoa)
- ½-1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbs coconut nectar or liquid sweetener of choosing (such as maple syrup)
- Place peanut flour and cocoa in a small bowl. Add liquid sweetener. Then, slowly add milk a little at a time, stirring to incorporate until you get a smooth, thick frosting. Adjust sweetness to taste.
Sandwich Assembly Method:
- Remove crust from freezer and spread frosting over entire sheet of dough. Place in the freezer again while you make Protein B’Nice Cream.
- After Protein B’Nice cream is made, remove dough from the freezer. Cut dough in half longways. Spread B’Nice cream in a 1 inch layer on one side of the dough. Lift the side of the dough without the B’Nice cream and place on top of B’nice cream layer and press down slightly. Wrap in the parchment paper and place in freezer for at least 2 hours. (Alternatively, tastes great freshly assembled, although, a tad messy!)
- Remove 15 minutes prior to serving. When ready to serve, use a sharp knife to cut sandwiches. Enjoy!